- Ready For Flu Season? 3 Ayurvedic Tips to Boost Your Immunity
- Understanding Ayurvedic Examination: Beyond the “Dosha Quiz”
- 9 Must-Have Ayurvedic Tips to Reduce Holiday Stress
- 8 Ayurvedic Recipes for Vegetarians at Thanksgiving
- How Ayurveda Inspires Mindful Eating
- Ayurvedic Nutrition: The Ancient Recipe of Happiness
- The Loving Embrace of Snehana for the Fall
- 4 Everyday Recipes to Strengthen Your Kitchen’s Ayurvedic Power
- Understanding Gluten and How to Digest It
- Three Pranayamas and their Ayurvedic / Psychological Effects
Blissful Nari Smoothie for a Happy Menstrual Cycle
Namaste Beautiful Ladies!
I am sharing an Ayurvedic smoothie recipe with you that keeps me blissful during my monthly cycles. This drink is deliciously rich, comforting, and promises to keep me in good mood!
The word ‘nari’ comes from Sanskrit meaning woman. This smoothie truly deserves the name “blissful nari”.
According to Ayurveda, a woman’s health is directly related to her menstrual cycle. A regular menstrual cycle is not just meant for conception and pregnancy. This process aids in detoxification of our bodily toxins and is highly regarded in Ayurveda for every woman to feel grounded, feminine, and most importantly connected with her inner Self during this time.
Unfortunately, for most women in the western world, menstruation is considered to be a hindrance to day-to-day activities.
A healthy and regular menstrual cycle is a gift to womanhood given by Mother Nature. During this period a woman’s body is regenerated, renewed, reinvigorated, and rejuvenated! We get a total body makeover during this time.
I hear you, reading this post, you may be thinking, “Is she Crazy?!”
I hope not…
In our endeavor to juggle everything and please everyone, we neglect to notice the mental baggage being built within ourselves, which gradually results in emotional and physical imbalances. These imbalances trigger unhealthy and irregular menstrual cycles leading to hormone imbalance and various ailments of the reproductive system.
There are few Ayurvedic herbs that I take especially during this time to keep me in balance emotionally and physically. I am including a couple of them in this recipe.
In our hectic lifestyle, we often forget to take our herbs/supplements on a regular basis.
Here is a tasteful solution to this: I mix Ayurvedic herbs with my food. It tastes better and gets assimilated well in my body!
Blissful Nari Smoothie (makes 1-2 glasses)
- 1-2 tbsp soaked organic Sesame Seeds (best if soaked overnight and prefer black colored)
- 4-5 tbsp organic Coconut Flakes (for extra smooth texture, you can soak the flakes for 2 hours)
- 4-6 organic Medjool Dates
- 1/2 tsp organic Vietnamese Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated organic Ginger Juice
- 1/2 tsp organic Amalaki powder
- 1/4 tsp organic Shatavari powder
- Water as needed
This smoothie’s thick and creamy texture is an indulgent treat to the taste buds. Consuming soaked sesame seeds is considered a treasure in Ayurveda during this time of the month. They are excellent during heavy menstrual days as they help in reducing cramping and heavy flow. And yes, these seeds are one of the highest source of iron. A word of caution, sesame seeds are warming in nature so in order to get the benefits of regulating the menstrual flow they must be mixed with a natural sweetener to have the right effect. Dates and sesame seeds go very well and taste amazing! Coconut flakes are cooling to the body which offsets the warm quality of sesame seeds and also helps with hormone balance.
Shatavari is the most valuable and versatile herb for all phases in woman’s lifetime. One can proudly say this herb is Ayurveda’s gift to all women! It is an excellent vata and pitta pacifier. The steroidal-saponins in this herb help in regulating menstrual cycle.
Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry)
Amalaki is popularly used for its highest source of Vit C. This herb helps to rebuild new tissues and increase red blood cell count. I like to use this in my smoothie mainly because it has all the five of the six tastes (except salty) to keep my appetite balanced and nourished during this time of the month.
When we experience healthy and regular menstrual cycles, we begin to cherish our femininity and become grounded and self-confident, radiating love, warmth, caring, and empathy to everyone who crosses our path.
Enjoy a happy and healthy cycle!